Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Professional Arm Wrestling is a Real Thing?

So I got my first email on match from an Irish guy who kind of reminds me of the Notre Dame leprechaun, but in a good way. He is certainly handsome - and big. Not big fat, but big big. Like there's a picture of him from one of those Strongman competitions, and he's holding a huge metal pipe straight over his head. I wonder how he will feel about my lack of enthusiasm where the gym is concerned. He also cites professional arm wrestling as an interest/pasttime - and I am not sure if I emailed him back just to find out more about that!

It feels funny to be emailing someone I've never met before - I mean, I've done it before, but how much do you say or not say right off the bat? I found myself typing, and then deleting multiple sentences because nothing sounded like "me." I eventually settled with just asking him about the aforementioned professional arm wrestling, and noting a couple of key points from his (well-written!) profile that I liked. Is that lame?

I wanted to come clean right away and tell him that I had been laid off from my job a few months back, was going back to school and in the meantime would be living with my parents. But does that scare guys off the same way it does girls? Does it show a lack of ambition? I mean, I should think that the whole school thing would help to balance out the 30 and living at home issue, but you never know. This guy, while interested in some decidedly meathead activities, seems to be pretty well-educated and career minded. Will my confession that I have basically been on vacation all summer turn him off?

I guess we'll see. I will say that I like terms of endearment, but not right away, and the fact that he called me "cutie" in the initial email makes me a little bit uncomfortable. I know that's insane, but I am who I am and refrained from calling him anything in my response. I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. In your next email you should ask him if he has seen the Sylvester Stallone ode to arm wrestling "Over The Top". If he has a framed poster of the movie, I say deal breaker.

    ReplyDelete