Thursday, August 20, 2009

My First Diss?

So I haven't yet heard back from the pro arm wrestler, and it's been 24 hours since I emailed. Sounds like bad news. I haven't even considered, "Maybe he's busy" or "Maybe there was a family emergency" or "Maybe he had to work late and was too tired to email me when he got home." I read He's Just Not That Into You from cover to cover when it came out a few years back, and I follow it like the law. If he was interested he would have emailed me back - especially because, thanks to the features that are included in my "guaranteed" match subscription, I can tell that he has both read my email and logged into Match since I sent it. What changed since he called me "cutie" in his initial email? Who knows? Who cares? The best thing about online dating, in my opinion, is that I don't know any of these people from Adam and so I don't/won't/can't take it personally.

Also, I have a confession. I was thinking about using eharmony before I decided to go with match.com for this "project," but found the required questionnaire you have to fill out (mine took me longer than 30 minutes!) as well as the "guided communication" process to be tedious. Basically the way it works is that based on said questionnaire, they send you a few matches per day, and after you check out their pictures and what they have to say (but let's face it - mainly the pictures), you can decide either to "start communication" or "close the match." In order to start communication, you have to pick out 5 multiple choice form questions ("What would you prefer to do on a Saturday night?," "What is the best description of the way your last romantic relationship ended?," "What kind of a restaurant would you prefer to eat at?") and then send them over to the other person. If they are into you, they answer the questions and then select another five questions to send back to you. You do this a couple of times before you are "allowed" to email each other.

"Closing the match" basically means that you are, in essence, blocking the person from contacting you...ever. Seems harsh right? At the bottom of every profile, there is a little link that says "close match." Once you click on it, you are taken to a list of reasons for cutting your ties with the unfortunate person. They range from "the physical distance between us is to great" to "our religious perspectives do not match" to "I am pursuing another relationship (LIE!)" to the dreaded "other." There is no option for "I am not physically attracted to you" so I can only imagine that when someone selects "other," that's what they really mean.

So my confession is that after I signed up and everything, I decided not to subscribe - that shit is expensive, and I didn't like that I couldn't do my own searches for potential mates and was kind of held hostage by this "guided communication" system and I wasn't into it. However, I got an email last week that said that if I changed my mind and signed up, they would let me do three months for $20/monthly. It seemed like a deal and I am all about bargains - so I did it. As of this past Tuesday, I am so cool that I am signed up to not one, but two! internet dating systems. Excellent.

So far I have received three requests to communicate, and I have responded to all three, which I promised I would do. I haven't seen anyone who really pops my cork in terms of physical appearance or their personality, as shown through their profiles, but you never know. That's the whole point of this blog - you just never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment