Wednesday, September 2, 2009

When a Guy Wants to Take You to Ruth's Chris, You Say YES!

***The suitor formerly known as "Pro Arm Wrestler" will now be referred to as "Chincredible" for both his physical resemblance to the dad from the movie "The Incredibles" and his insane Irish chin.

Internet dates are a funny thing. You meet someone via the computer, and for however long you are emailing, texting, and speaking on the telephone only. Then the date comes and you are first sizing up each other physically (obviously) - and if that's all cool, you are then seeing if there is chemistry between you. Usually the date is a few drinks, which is both casual and confidence-building, and then when it ends, you decide whether or not you want to keep in contact with this person. Now I have been on a couple different kinds of match dates - there is the match date where there is NO chemistry whatsoever and it's a wash. There's the one where one person likes the other more - always fun. There's the one where there is far too much chemistry, too much booze, and not enough space in between your bodies - always always a mistake! And then there is the nice date where you both walk away thinking that you'd like to see each other again.

But never ever have I been on a match date where we have planned in advance to get dinner and drinks at Ruth's Chris, and to be frank, I am fine with that for a number of reasons. First of all, I like getting dressed up but on a first date I don't want to put in so much effort that I look ridiculously "done." I like wearing heels, and I like wearing dresses and skirts, but on a first BLIND date, I want to be casual and comfortable - jeans, low heels or flats, a casual sexy top, light makeup. Secondly, what if the date is a total bomb?? I will be stuck on this long-ass, fancyish formalish dinner with a dude I don't like. Finally, there is the belief that if a guy is shelling out big bucks for dinner and wine, that he is going to expect some tongue. I don't mind kissing on the first date, but I don't want to feel like the expectation, or worse - obligation, is there.

Chincredible asked me to go to Ruth's Chris this Friday night and I seriously debated about it. I reached out to a close girlfriend about his offer and she basically told me that I was an idiot to feel the way I do and that "when a guy wants to take you to Ruth's Chris, you say YES!" So I took her advice and it is on. I am excited, because I do feel myself starting to like this guy (don't get ahead of yourselves - while he is hilarious and sweet, he has some douche-y tendencies) but I am guarded as always. I can't be wooed with filet mignon and pinot noir.

Details to follow......

No comments:

Post a Comment