Friday, September 4, 2009

When A Man You've Never Met Breaks Plans Twice, You Say "NEXT"

OK so my big date at Ruth's Chris tonight is not happening. I actually expected this - because I always expect the worst case scenario.

Since last week, Chincredible has either texted or emailed me at some point during the day, every day, and usually we will talk on the phone at some point after he gets out of work at 3pm. We are usually just bullshitting, or if we speak on the phone he regales me with some stories from when he worked in a jail (did I ever mention that he used to be a cop?). He really seems like a nice normal funny guy - if a little bit affected by the area we live in.

Now, I don't know if I mentioned this either, but he is currently on crutches due to a knee injury he gave himself while on a mini-vacation with friends and needs to have surgery in the next couple of weeks. So we were supposed to go out this past Saturday night, but he texted me in the morning to tell me that his leg was really bothering him and that he wanted to take me out another night. I was fine with it because it was really shitty out - rainy and humid, and I have curly hair that takes an hour to blow out, and then about two seconds to get frizzy in wet weather. Plus no one wants to get all dressed up when it's gross like that. So we agreed that we would do something this weekend - and that something turned out to be Ruth's Chris. So the reservations were for 7:15 tonight, and yesterday he told me more than once that he couldn't wait to meet me in person, that he really felt like we were going to connect, and even went so far as to tell me that he looked at my pictures online again and thought I was "just so pretty - great facial features." Totally weird but a little flattering.

So imagine my surprise when I didn't hear a single thing from him all day today - it's not that I expect guys to check in with me - I actually don't like it, but when it's kind of become the norm, you notice when it's different. Am I right? I texted him at around 3, checking to see if his knee was feeling OK for tonight, and about an hour and a half later I got a text back asking if I'd be very angry with him if we rescheduled, because he was in a lot of pain and would not make a good first impression. He TEXTED. Not called. I hate that, and I hate even more that he broke plans with me twice, the day of. I think I am an understanding person, but jesus. Twice in the same week? For the same thing?

I am leaving it alone for now - I am not going to text him or call him. I'll let him make new plans if he wants to. But I'm not angry - I like situations like this because it lets you see how a person really is. A guy who texts to break plans? That's kind of lame. And also, I know that he is very drugged up on sleeping and pain meds this week - to the point where he won't remember a phone conversation we had the next day. Granted, he has a pretty serious injury, but he is able to function and go to work every day...does he need all the medicine? And lastly, who knows if he maybe has some kind of social anxiety that makes it hard for him to meet girls - and maybe he asked me to go out to an expensive restaurant with no plans of following through! Maybe he thought I'd be impressed if he "was going to" take me to Ruth's Chris, and then figured if he cancelled, it would be the thought that counts (he figured wrong).

Regardless I am focusing on some new guys - one a friend picked out for me (I totally gave her my match log in information and let her go to town) who emailed me yesterday, and another one who I checked out more than a few times before "winking" at him. He finally winked back, so I shot him an email and I guess we will see what happens!

Seriously - fucking internet dating.

And can I just say that eHarmony is a total snooze??

No comments:

Post a Comment